Every year about this time, our interior decorators I sit down and create new furniture packages. For those of you who are regular readers of this column (thank you!), it will come as no surprise that I enjoy keeping up on trends and learning about the best materials and manufacturing processes for furniture and décor for our homes here in Mexico. Last week, I wrote about furniture packages and how they can be a great way for new home owners in a foreign country to save stress and money.
Another way to save yourself time and stress is to know which décor style you prefer. Design trends in home furniture and decor come in waves. They can last from two years to decades. Inspiration comes from many disparate sources including European runways for high fashion, the art world and even world events.
There are many furniture and décor shows around the world. From these shows as well as the catalogs of our manufacturers and suppliers in Mexico, we curate furniture packages with the trends that are current and upcoming.
- Contemporary: By far, the most preferred style. People tend to confuse modern with contemporary style. Where modern is sleek with angles, contemporary is comfy and curved.
- Modern: Clean, unadorned style that features metal, leather and no clutter. (Pictured)
- Rustic: Rugged pieces and nature inspired colors.
- Santa Fe/Southwestern: Often referred to by customers here as Mexican style. This style includes medium to dark stained wood furniture, terracotta tiles and pops of turquoise and orange colors. (Featured photo.)
- Coastal: White, sand and ocean inspired.
- Mid Century Modern: Natural, geometric shapes reminiscent of 1950/1960 design.
Although we still get requests for the following décor styles, they are less common.
- Industrial: Décor inspired by warehouses with raw, unfinished touches.
- Minimalist: Modern but even more so with ultra clean lines and everything about function.
- French Country: Earthy, white and farmhouse decor.
- Bohemian: A warm, carefree approach appealing to the heart and cultures of the world.
- Shabby Chic: A vintage look that is relaxed and feminine.
- Traditional: Classical, elabo- rate lines with old world patterns, textures and colors.
- Scandinavian: Simplistic, func- tional and sculptural. (At left.)
- Hollywood Glam: Over-the-top style with luxurious and lush materials.
Remember that there are no rules you must follow to make your house your home. Select the style that makes you relaxed, comfortable and happy in your home in Mexico. Having an idea of your preferred styles will help you save time when shopping for either a furniture package or one signature item.
Furnishing a new home in Vallarta Nayarit? Email me and I would be happy to send you a free checklist of items to make your shopping easier.