The 6th Annual Charity Chili Cook-Off is set for Saturday, February 24th from 1-5 pm at El Rio BBQ Bar in Paso Ancho. This year the chairman for the event is Jim Sullivan.
It’s an “All you can eat” chili feast, featuring recipes from 16 popular area bars and restaurants and sponsors – all competing for trophies and bragging rights. There will be two categories of chili judging – one by popular vote from attendees and one by professional judges.
There is still have space available for a couple of more entries. Anyone interested in participating by making their own 5 gallons of chili, please contact Donna Wong at parosgreece (at) yahoo.com.
Cost of the entry is $250 pesos per person. In addition to all that chili, an order of El Rio’s famous smoked riblets and an agua fresca are also included. Regular El Rio menu items will also be available for purchase. Entertainment will be provided by several cookin’ musical groups.
Emcees Pearl Burrus and Vera Carp are two of the 22 zany characters from Greater Tuna, a satirical comedy about small towns, small minds and big hearts, now playing at Incanto in Puerto Vallarta. All 22 characters are portrayed by two men, Tracy Parks and Ron Spencer. There are 42 lightning fast costume changes during the show which will keep you laughing from start to finish. For tickets please visit www.IncantoVallarta.com.
Two bottles of PATRON Tequila will be raffled off. Bring a non-perishable food item for one free raffle ticket. 1 ticket per donated item. Food will be distributed to those in need.
All proceeds from the cook-off go to local charities and the community:
- Estancia Sabrina Projecto Busca un Amigo A.C. – Day care center for children with disabilities.
- DIF New Life Home for Boys – Young boys who have had a troubled past. Scholarships to play Torpedos American Football. This year, one boy was awarded a full scholarship to Monterrey Institute of Technology to play football.
- DIF is a Mexican public institution of social assistance that focuses on strengthening and developing the welfare of the Mexican families.
- Torpedos American Football A.C. – Pop Warner youth football for boys and girls ages 7 to 17. Donations are made for equipment.
- Jay Sadler Community Relations Projects A.C.– In 2017, 30 projects completed. In 2016, 18 projects, and over the past 5 years, 100 projects completed. www.jaysadlerproject.com
Tickets can be purchased at the door or in advance from any of the event’s sponsors: Nacho Daddy, Captain Don’s, Casa Anita, DZ Route 66, Escondida Sports Bar, Kelly’s Pour Favor, Luke’s Bar, Murphy’s Irish Pub, Lighthouse Specialty Foods, El Torito Sports Bar, 104.3 Radio Station, Torpedos American Football and Navy League/R.I.S.E.
Confirmed Professional Judges: Gary Beck, Paul Mayer, Matt McCue, Jim Lee.
For more information contact Dennis Rike of the Jay Sadler Project www.jaysadlerproject.com dennis2rike(at)hotmail.com
El Rio BBQ is located in Paso Ancho, in a beautiful setting alongside the Cuale River. Doors open at 1 pm.
Directions: from the south or El Centro/Old Town, take the Libramiento through the small tunnel, then turn right at the signal just past the bridge. From the north, turn left at the signal after the large tunnel and just before the bridge. Free parking will be available. The 04 blue bus from Old Town, which you can catch on Lazaro Cardenas, drops you off at El Rio’s front entrance.
The Jay Sadler Project Community Relations (COMREL) program provides necessary resources to improve various charities and non-profit institutions in the Banderas Bay area.
The Jay Sadler Project is an approved IJAH Charity and works with the Foundation Punta de Mita. The Foundation can issue a tax deductible 501 C receipt for donations from the US and similar receipts for donations received from Canada and Mexico.